- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 slices bread, torn
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, thyme or sage, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk and bread; let stand until liquid is absorbed. Stir in the onion, carrot, cheese and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a 7-1/2x3-1/2x2-1/2-in. loaf in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Combine the topping ingredients; spoon half of the mixture over meat loaf. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°, occasionally spooning remaining topping over loaf. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Best-Ever Meat Loaf
"I couldn't get my meat loaf to really stay solidified, which was frustrating. I had even added an extra piece of bread since it seemed there was too much liquid that wouldn't fully absorb into the 2 slices of bread recommended in the recipe. Also, the loaf pan size recommended was too small, I couldn't add the topping on it without it leaking out over the sides - I had to put a sheet pan under it to catch the drippings. If it tasted good even with these recipe flaws, I would have just made notes for next time, but it also did not taste good - I felt the parsley and basil were too strongly flavored for this which I realize it said they were optional, but I don't feel those flavors suited the recipe. All in all, it needed more flavoring, maybe if it was cooked in a bigger loaf pan next time it would have come out better."
"Never any leftovers!"
"This meatloaf was wonderful! My whole family loved this. Really enjoyed the topping. I used fresh herbs from my garden. This will be a favourite for us. Thanks for an awesome recipe."
"Unbelievably delicious! Thanks so much TOH."
"This was pretty good. I'll make it again with some modifications. Mainly, my husband and I both thought the sauce was way too sweet. Next time, I'll cut it by at least half. I also added a couple cloves of garlic."
"The title of this recipe doesn't lie it is the Best-Ever Meatloaf! This has become one of our family favorites!"
"Add a couple cloves of fresh garlic!!"
"Very flavorful. Mt onions and carrots were not soft at the end, so next time I may cook them first and then add to the meat loaf to bake. This was delicious meatloaf. My boys and husband liked it which counts for everything."
"This is my extra picky son's favorite meatloaf. I always use ketchup in the topping instead of tomato sauce"