Best-Ever Chocolate Cake Recipe
You can't miss with this delightful old-fashioned dessert. The cake is moist and chocolaty, and its light, fluffy frosting stirs up in a jiffy. Use vanilla pudding instead of chocolate in the frosting if you wish. -Catherine Dawe, Kent, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:12-15 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FLUFFY CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Beat on medium for 1 minute.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a bowl, beat the milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Beat in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 365 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 443 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC