- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FLUFFY CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Beat on medium for 1 minute.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat the milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Beat in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Best-Ever Chocolate Cake
"This as a very moist and delicious cake. The cake is not real sweet which I liked but very "chocolatey" . I made mine in a 10" springform pan this time and it took 55 minutes in my convection oven. I will definitely make this again and again. There is nothing like a scratch cake. If you like light and airy puff and blow cakes, then maybe this isn't for you. It was beautifully heavy...a perfect cake in my opinion. Surprised to see NO EGGS in this cake. SUPER!!!!!"
"All there is to say is, YUM. It was moist and delicious."
"I have made this cake for my children from the time they where small until today at 36, 30 and 29 they love it. My mother-in law give this recipe to me she used it during the depression when there where no eggs."
"This is my go-to chocolate cake recipe. I have been making it for years. I have made it as sheet cakes, cupcakes, shaped cakes, layered cakes. It always works. I use shortening and cocoa to grease and "flour" the pans and then they always come out.I love that the cake part (without the icing) is egg-free and dairy-free (since we have family who can't have those things). When I do make the icing, it's a hit, but this cake is also good with a butter-cream or fondant topping.It's not super sweet and it's not super rich, but it's still super good and that's why I like it!"
"Oops, wrong recipe. The one I was trying to get an answer on has the same name."