- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Tortilla chips and minced fresh chives, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook and stir the chicken, peppers and onion in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the water, corn, rice, enchilada sauce, chilies and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and sour cream until cheese is melted. Serve with chips and chives if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Best-Ever Chicken Fajita Chowder
"This chowder is wonderful!! I served it along with Southwest Fish Tacos and the combo was great. The only changes I made to the recipe was that I used a quart of chicken broth instead of the water, and I replaced the brown rice with a 15 oz. can of black beans. For a garnish, I used extra cheese and chopped tomatoes. Yummy!!"
"This was so delicious! I made a few changes due to ease of making and others' suggestions. I used 4 cups of chicken stock, a full can of green enchilada sauce, added a can of pinto beans (drained and rinsed), and a full can of green chilies (I use whole chilies, not chopped, because there are no stems). We also did not use the cheese, in the chowder or on top, because it's so rich and delicious without it! Thanks for sharing!"
"Absolutely delicious. My family loved it."
"I love this recipe. I doubled the green enchilada sauce and it came out great. More like a green enchilada chowder!"
"The whole family loved this soup. I used twice the chicken called for. We used the sour cream and cheese according to the directions but if you don't have them, the soup would still be great. I will omit the sour cream next time and sprinkle the cheese on top of each individual serving."
"I made just a couple of changes, I added some cumin and instead of water I used chicken broth. It came out amazing!!! There are no leftovers in my house when I cook this"
"I thought it was a bit bland."
"this was yummy and fairly easy to make! The leftovers heat up really well, which is important to me since I cook for two!"
"This was a great meal on a cold damp evening! I like mild so I didn't add the chilies. It was perfect!"
"I made this recipe as written, except I did not have brown rice. I substituted white long grain rice. Next time I will use cheese as a garnish only. With the sour cream in there, I feel that is plenty rich. I like the cumin and hot pepper flakes idea as an addition. Very nice recipe."