Best-Ever Beans and Sausage Recipe
My wife devised this dish, which is extremely popular with our friends and family. When she asks, "What can I share?" the reply is always, "Bring your beans and sausage...and a couple copies of the recipe." — Robert Saulnier, Clarksburg, Massachusetts
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (31 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add green pepper and onion; saute until tender. Drain. Add remaining ingredients.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover. bake 20-30 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 316 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 857 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC