Best-Ever Beans and Sausage Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (31 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add green pepper and onion; saute until tender. Drain. Add remaining ingredients.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour. Uncover. bake 20-30 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 316 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 857 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Reviews for Best-Ever Beans and Sausage
"I really liked these beans! Grandma and husband did not though, which sadly means that I probably won't be making it again. Grandma says it is a weird combination of flavors. Husband says it is too sweet. You can't win 'em all!"
"made this and it tastes great..a couple people that like traditional baked beans with ground beef thrown in probably won't like it because its too much flavor for them...my grown kids who none like baked beans , including myself really liked this..i love it because it has so much flavor and i like spicy too."
"I have six picky kids and they all love this. It is a regular in my home. Best of all it makes enough that I can reheat some for lunch the next day!"
"Always take these baked beans to picnics. Everyone loves them! Very yummy!!"
"These beans are delicious. My father in law requests that I make this everytime we get together. Sometimes, I can't find spicy sausage, so I use regular sausage and sprinkle some red pepper flakes. If it gets too thick, just add 1/2 cup water. Even better the next day."
"This recipe was in TOH years ago and I have made it many times. It is really delicious with all of the different beans with spicy sausage-what's not to like!"
"Simple, tasty meal for the whole family to enjoy! I split the batch into 8x8 pans instead of one 9x13 pan to freeze one for another meal. I used a spicey pepper also, which added some extra zing to the flavor."
"made it for a family cookout-hardly any eaten"
"After I get this all mixed up, I put it in a crock pot instead of the oven. This works great for pot lucks."
"I have made this several times and have always received rave reviews. I am not crazy about Hot Sausage, so I substituted Maple Flavored Sausage and I think it gives it a wonderful taste!!"
"Since I'm not a fan of spicy sausage I use 1 lb of regular sausage and 1/2 lb of hot sausage and it's great"
"If you love beans this is the dish for you, and even folks who aren't will enjoy the spice and texture. Great dish for cold winter nights and terrific for potlucks. Is either a main dish or a side dish and it freezes well. Can you tell I love it?"
"It had a different flavor to it that sort of grows on you. It takes getting use to but still good."
"I made this one tonight and got a lot of raves!"
"I made this last night and it was really easy to do. I wasn't IN LOVE with the hot pork sausage taste with the other ingredients. The flavor was a bit weird, but I did like it over all."
"This is a wonderful dish. Even my 1 year old son loves this."