- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, bananas, oil, buttermilk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forBest-Ever Banana Bread
"I live at 7200 ft and didn't modify (other than swapping pecans for walnuts out of preference), and it turned out great for anyone else at high altitude who might be wondering. Only cooked it for about 1 hr;10 min. Delicious! I was concerned about the top getting too dark as one commenter stated as that often happens to me with baking, but it was right in the center of my oven and came out perfectly browned."
"It is the best recipie ever. I even used 3 old frozen runny bananas and it was delicious!"
"Didn't change a thing!"
"It was good. It's similar to my grandmother's recipe, but we prefer hers."
"This is my favorite banana bread recipe. It always comes out perfect."
"The taste and texture of this banana bread is perfect and my family loved it. My personal preference is for the top crust to not be as dark. I couldn't get the bread to cook all the way through without the top getting a dark brown. (I made 2 loaves and put a piece of foil over one of them and it still turned out a dark brown.) As I said, that is my personal preference."