- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, bananas, oil, buttermilk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Best-Ever Banana Bread
"I make this any time I have bananas that are really ripe, it's really good!"
"Excellent recipe. I skipped the nuts because I didn't have any and it still turned out tasty. Next time I will make sure I have walnuts because I'm sure it will be even better. I read the reviews and decided to use only 1 cup of sugar and added a teaspoon of cinnamon. This is now my go to banana bread recipe. Very fast and easy."
"perfect banana bread"
"I followed the directions exactly except for adding 1 cup of Hershey cinnamon chips along with the walnuts. Came out AMAZING."
"I have used a recipe very similar to this one since 1966. Mine uses 1 stick of margarine instead of oil, only 1 cup of sugar, 3 mashed bananas not 2 and no buttermilk or vanilla plus I've always used pecans and not walnuts but that is a matter of preference. Instead of bread, I often make miniature muffins and we love the muffins."