Best-Ever Asparagus/Ham Rolls Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 16 slices sandwich-type ham
- Prepared mustard
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- 1. Cook asparagus until crisp-tender. Spread one side of each ham slice with mustard. Roll ham around 2-3 asparagus spears. Layer rolls, seam side down, in an 11x7-in. baking dish. Set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Blend in flour until smooth. Slowly stir in milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and, if desired, onions. Pour over ham rolls.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 262 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 645 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer