This is an easy dish to prepare, yet elegant enough for company. I'm always asked for the recipe. I adapted it from one of my mother's recipes. And now, this is one of the few ways I can get our daughters to enjoy asparagus!
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 16 slices sandwich-type ham
- Prepared mustard
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- Cook asparagus until crisp-tender. Spread one side of each ham slice with mustard. Roll ham around 2-3 asparagus spears. Layer rolls, seam side down, in an 11x7-in. baking dish. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Blend in flour until smooth. Slowly stir in milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and, if desired, onions. Pour over ham rolls.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Best-Ever Asparagus/Ham Rolls in Country Extra March 1991, p45
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Best-Ever Asparagus/Ham Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review