- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt and 2 cups flour. In a small
- saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to
- dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Add 2 eggs; beat on
- high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough
- (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic,
- about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease
- the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until
- doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and
- shape dough into 24 balls. Place in two greased 13x9-in. baking
- pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until
- doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush rolls with lightly beaten egg. Sprinkle with toppings for rolls
- of your choice. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove
- from pans to wire racks; serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
CLOVERLEAF ROLLS: Make dough as directed; divide into 24 portions. Divide and shape each portion into three balls. For each roll, place three balls in a greased muffin cup. Let rise, top and bake as directed. TWISTS: Make dough as directed; divide and shape into 24 balls. Roll each into a 10-in. rope; fold in half and twist two or three times while holding both ends. Pinch rope ends to seal. Let rise, top and bake as directed. ROSETTES: Make dough as directed; divide and shape into 24 balls. Roll each into a 10-in. rope; tie into a loose knot. Tuck ends under. Let rise, top and bake as directed.
Nutritional Facts: 1 roll (calculated without toppings) equals 118 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.