- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a
- small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120°-130°.
- Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Add 2 eggs;
- beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to
- form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
- top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until
- doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24
- portions. Shape into balls. Divide between two greased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking pans. Cover with a clean, lightweight towel and let
- rise until doubled, about 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Brush with lightly beaten egg. Sprinkle
- with toppings for rolls of your choice. Bake 10-15 minutes or until
- golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
CLOVERLEAF ROLLS: Make dough as directed; divide into 24 portions. Divide each into three equal pieces; shape into balls. Place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Let rise, top and bake as directed. TWISTS: Make dough as directed; divide into 24 portions. Shape into balls; roll each into a 10-in. rope. Fold in half and twist two or three times, holding both ends. Pinch rope ends to seal. Let rise, top and bake as directed. ROSETTES: Make dough as directed; divide into 24 portions. Shape into balls; roll each into a 10-in. rope. Tie loose knot in the center of rope. Bring bottom end up and tuck into center of roll; wrap top end around and tuck under roll. Let rise, top and bake as directed.
Nutritional Facts: 1 roll (calculated without toppings) equals 118 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 143 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.