Best Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- FOR EVERYTHING DINNER ROLLS:
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- FOR PARM-GARLIC DINNER ROLLS:
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- FOR ALMOND HERB DINNER ROLLS:
- 2 tablespoons chopped sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Add 2 eggs; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape dough into 24 balls. Place in two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 4. Brush rolls with lightly beaten egg. Sprinkle with toppings for rolls of your choice. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 roll (calculated without toppings): 118 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Best Dinner Rolls
"I love these! The toppings are delicious given enough time and patience they came out great and look impressive."
"I do not think this recipe in for me. I like the topping idea but the dough did not raise like normal bread dough. I have tried it twice and neither time did it work out. I will not be remaking this one."
"I made half of this recipe for dinner one night. There were 4 people eating, and I didn't want to make 2 dozen rolls. Like any bread recipe, it is time consuming. I had trouble getting the dough to come together. I had to keep adding flour before it was no longer sticky. As the other reviewers said, it didn't raise very much. I even put this out in the shade on my porch on a 92 degree day. After baking, the rolls had risen but were on the denser side; not light and fluffy like I would have hoped for, but they had a good taste. There were three rolls left over, and the next day they were VERY dense and hard. This is not a roll you could make the day before. They are best eaten when made (and still warm). I don't know if I will make this recipe again. The icebox butterhorns from Taste of Home is a better recipe. They are lighter and fluffier. Plus, they freeze well."
"I should have known better than to put the yeast in with the flour without letting it rise first. They were ok but I have had better; do like the topping idea"
"A lot of work, but it makes a lot and they freeze very well. Don't skimp on the topping, that really makes it special."
"Like many of my other reviews...mine didn't look like the picture. Even with the pan sitting in front of the fireplace as my warm place int he house it seemed they had a hard time rising to the the desired height. They were okay in taste, kind of sweet. I might try them again before deciding to toss the recipe to see if they are any better the second time around in looks."
"These were perfect! I refrigerated the dough overnight after rising and made them the next afternoon. Had the perfect amount of sweetness and the Parmesan with garlic was awesome! Thanks for this one!"
"I've already made 4 batches. I just put all the ingredients into my bread machine on the dough cycle. Very easy."
"I have never had much luck with homemade rolls and bread but decided to give these a try. They were delicious. Will make again."
"Made these with everything topping and the parm- garlic. They were pretty easy to make and came out really nice. This is a huge batch!"