- 2-1/2 cups pitted dates, cut up
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, optional
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a saucepan, combine dates, sugar and water. Cook, stirring frequently, until very thick. Stir in walnuts, if desired; cool.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking soda together in a large bowl; add oats and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle water over mixture; stir lightly. Pat half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread with date mixture; cover with remaining oat mixture and pat lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 40 bars.
Reviews forBest Date Bars
"This was too salty and I ended up tossing it. I will make some changes and try again."
"I found the recipe easy to follow. Unfortunately, the final product was too salty for my family's taste. Also, the base and topping were a bit too crumbly. I will try some modifications in hopes of saving this bar recipe."
"I too, like the previous post somewhere over the years have lost the recipe. My mother used to make these all the time in the 60's when we were children. This is a very good recipe and easy to make. Will definitely make it again. My children enjoy it just as much as I did. Thanks!"
"A hit with my family, including mom who used to make these when we were kids, but the recipe has been long lost. We are delighted to have such a delicious sub."
"Very good. Voted just as good as Mom's used to be."
"Delicious. Have made many many times."
"This recipe is very close to the Krusteaz Brand of Date Bar Mix, which they don't make anymore. Mom use to cook these all the time. I added a touch of cinnamon to the oatmeal mix. Sooo goood!"
"These look delicious!Did you ever make those big chewy peanut butter cookies like McKeesport Vocational School's cafeteria? I'd love to have that recipe.baking afficionado"