- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Minced chives
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour and curry powder until blended. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the pumpkin, milk, honey, salt, pepper and nutmeg; heat through. Garnish with chives if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Best Curried Pumpkin Soup
Sort By :
I love this soup. I always make it for Thanksgiving. One of my favorite recipes.
I have made this soup for Thanksgiving since receiving my Oct/Nov 2000 issue. However, I make my vegie broth using vegetable bullion paste and make it a tiny bit strong...then I omit the salt and honey and use half and half instead of the evaporated milk. For a thicker soup I reduce the broth liquid by 1/2 a cup.
Really is the best pumpkin soup recipe! I didn't have that many muchrooms (about half) so made up the difference with grated parsnips and added a very little ground ginger too. Great! :-)
This was too sweet for me. I think using real pumpkin instead of canned pumpkin could make a difference.
My family absolutely loves this soup. It is very savory. I add a little extra curry powder to mine.