- 4 cups water
- Turkey giblets
- CORN BREAD:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 6 cups cubed soft bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water and giblets to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut corn bread into 1/2-in. cubes; set aside.
- Strain broth, discarding giblets. Set broth aside; cool slightly. In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and pecans in butter until vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the corn bread, cubed bread, eggs, seasonings and enough reserved broth to reach desired moistness (about 1-1/2 cups). Save remaining broth for another use.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 8-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and top is lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forBest Corn Bread Dressing
"I used this receipe to make cornbread dressing for the first time ever. Everyone loved it!!!!"
"I fixed this recipe twice for Thanksgiving 2010, one to keep at home, and the other to share with family. It is, without a doubt, the absolute best dressing I, and my family, have ever tasted!"
"Never have I eaten such flavorful dressing! I'm sure mom will be asking me to make the dressing from here on out."
"this is the way my mom made it coming up"