- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 20 large marshmallows
- 1 package (14 ounces) coconut
- 2 cups slivered almonds, toasted, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, water and cocoa. Cook and stir until butter is melted; add to dry ingredients. Combine the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; add to chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 1 cup evaporated milk, 3/4 cup sugar and marshmallows; cook and stir until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat; stir in coconut. Immediately sprinkle 1 cup almonds over cake. Spread coconut mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining almonds (pan will be full).
- In a small saucepan, combine butter with remaining milk and sugar. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate chips until melted. Drizzle over almonds. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 35 servings.
Reviews for Best Coconut Chocolate Cake
"This is absolutely the best cake I have ever made, and I have made many over the years. The flavor is swoon-worthy, and I find that I close my eyes after the first bite, take another bite and repeat, and then finish it off before reaching for another. A friend of mine put it better: "I think that I need to step outside and have a moment." I would cut WAY back on the chocolate drizzle, for the amount that this makes just takes away from the perfection of the flavor. I put a little bit of drizzle on the top and then tossed the rest, otherwise it just becomes frosting and would cover the lucious coconut layer."
"EVERYONE LOVED IT"
"Love it! My grand kids (ages 4, 7 & 10 girl and boys) loved them too. They kept saying they didn't like "stuff" (coconut & almonds) on cake, but I've found if they help make something they always eat it and this was no exception. What a fun day we had making and eating these."
"Delicious! Cutting back on the sugar content is highly recommended, but this is a great cake for chocolate, coconut and almond lovers. I will make this again and again!"
"This cake is delicious and very easy to make. It is also very, very, very sweet. I will definitely make it again but reduce the amount of sugar going into the marshmallow topping (or use unsweetened coconut flakes). Just my personal preference. Also, you can safely cut the drizzle ingredients in half, as the recipe makes a lot."