Best Coconut Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 20 large marshmallows
- 1 package (14 ounces) coconut
- 2 cups slivered almonds, toasted, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small saucepan, combine the butter, water and cocoa. Cook and stir until butter is melted; add to dry ingredients. Combine the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; add to chocolate mixture and mix well.
- 2. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 1 cup evaporated milk, 3/4 cup sugar and marshmallows; cook and stir until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat; stir in coconut. Immediately sprinkle 1 cup almonds over cake. Spread coconut mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining almonds (pan will be full).
- 4. In a small saucepan, combine butter with remaining milk and sugar. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate chips until melted. Drizzle over almonds. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 35 servings.
1 piece: 317 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Best Coconut Chocolate Cake
"Everybody loved this cake!!! I did not use all of the drizzling sauce, and next time will cut the recipe in half for it. This cake is delicious but very rich and a little goes a long way. It slices much neater if thoroughly chilled first."
"For LindaMaria -- a 15x10x1 is commonly called a jelly roll pan. Not hard to find at all."
"Sounds yummy, but that pan size is odd, I don't have a pan 15x10x1'' I wonder how it would come out in a 13x9 inch pan??? I'll try it and add 5 min to baking tme...Love this flavor combo."
"This is absolutely the best cake I have ever made, and I have made many over the years. The flavor is swoon-worthy, and I find that I close my eyes after the first bite, take another bite and repeat, and then finish it off before reaching for another. A friend of mine put it better: "I think that I need to step outside and have a moment." I would cut WAY back on the chocolate drizzle, for the amount that this makes just takes away from the perfection of the flavor. I put a little bit of drizzle on the top and then tossed the rest, otherwise it just becomes frosting and would cover the lucious coconut layer."
"EVERYONE LOVED IT"
"Love it! My grand kids (ages 4, 7 & 10 girl and boys) loved them too. They kept saying they didn't like "stuff" (coconut & almonds) on cake, but I've found if they help make something they always eat it and this was no exception. What a fun day we had making and eating these."
"Delicious! Cutting back on the sugar content is highly recommended, but this is a great cake for chocolate, coconut and almond lovers. I will make this again and again!"
"This cake is delicious and very easy to make. It is also very, very, very sweet. I will definitely make it again but reduce the amount of sugar going into the marshmallow topping (or use unsweetened coconut flakes). Just my personal preference. Also, you can safely cut the drizzle ingredients in half, as the recipe makes a lot."
"This was excellent! The only thing I changed was I poured the entire pot of chocolate sauce over the top instead of drizzling. YUM, very decadent"
"This cake is delicious! Reminds me of an Almond Joy candy bar!"
"The cake was delicisious, but I must have done something wrong with the topping. It never got hard, only gummy. The topping ran right off of the cake when it was cut."
"i need to tell you if you are looking for a chocolate cake do not look any further.The best I have ever had thanks for the recipe"
"Sounds like a cross between Texas sheet cake and Mississippi mud cake! Delicious, though!"
"I use pecans as that is what I had on hand/ very moist cake and so yummy! will be making this for a pot luck dinner next week..will be in my "favorites" as of today."
"My whole family loved this. Even the pickiest eaters!!"
"This cake was a big hit at a bake sale. It's very moist and delicious."
"loved it, very rich , very sweet but very tasty"
"Delicious! But the recipe makes enough chocolate to drizzle over half a dozen cakes."
"I made this for a friend's birthday. He loved it. I didn't add the almonds though, just because I wasn't sure if he liked almonds and the cake was a surprise. The cake itself is very easy to make, as is the topping. The topping makes A LOT. There's a lot of chocolate to drizzle too, I used less than half."
"It is delicious, like an almond joy bar- I'm wondering- It seems like I had an abundant amount of chocolate to drizzle over the top. I recommend letting it cool off before drizzling on cake."
"The cake is delicious. I screwed up making the topping by using all of the evaporated milk to melt the sugar and marshmellows, but it still turned out ok. I didn't have any milk left to melt the chocolate chips so I subsistuted chocolate out of a bottle. I definately will make it again."
"Coconut chocolate cake is a recipe I simply love and so does my family. This recipe is one we'll make many more times and keep in my recipe box, as it is just plain delicious."