Best Clam Chowder Recipe
I serve this cheesy chowder every Christmas or New Year's. Throughout the year, I substitute the potatoes and clams with broccoli and find that even the grandchildren enjoy the taste. —Joy Schuster Glentana, Montana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 4 cups cubed red potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, drained
- 2/3 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Stir into potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add clams and cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in milk; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 170 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 502 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC