- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate curls, optional
- Line three 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour the pans and paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt chips and butter over low heat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Best Chocolate Cake
"The frosting was to die for but the cake, i don't know if it was because i used a 9X13 pan but it came out really dry. I will make the frosting again."
"I love this recipe. I use for cupcakes and cake. Every time I make it, I get asked for the recipe. And I've made it many, many times. And the cupcakes freeze fabulously."
"I made the recipe exactly as stated and my cake was dry and the frosting way too sweet. It is a thin batter and it doesnt rise in the oven which leaves you with three very small layers. I cooked it for 20 min (directions say 20-25 min) I usually make the hersheys magic cake with coffee. I will not make this again."
"Made this yesterday with my 3 kids, 7 and younger, and it was simple. Turned out delicious. Rich for me, but everyone else loved it. Definitely need a glass of milk. :) Will definitely make this again. Wonderful to have a light, moist chocolate cake made from scratch. Thank you for sharing!"