Best Chilled Beets
I really didn't like beets until my mother made these. When I've served them to guests or taken them to a gathering, many people have told me how much they like them. The combination of ingredients may sound a bit unusual, but they really taste good together.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) sliced beets
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 25 whole cloves, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- Drain the beets, reserving 1-1/2 cups of juice in a large saucepan.
- Add cornstarch to juice and mix well. Add beets and remaining
- ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce
- is slightly thickened, stirring often. Remove the spice bag. Cover
- and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 52 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2,478 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.