Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half (6 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup spicy hot V8 juice
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup cubed or sliced avocado
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1. Brush the tomatoes, onion and garlic with 1 teaspoon oil. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes or until tender, turning once. Peel and discard charred skins from tomatoes; place tomatoes in a blender. Add onion and garlic; cover and process for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with lemon-pepper and salt; broil for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cut one tortilla into 1/4-in. strips; coarsely chop remaining tortilla.
- 3. In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil. Fry tortilla strips until crisp and browned; remove with a slotted spoon.
- 4. In the same pan, cook the zucchini, carrot, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and chopped tortilla over medium heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the tomato mixture, broth, V8 juice, corn, tomato puree, jalapeno and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 5. Cut chicken into strips and add to soup; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with the avocado, cheese and tortilla strips. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
1-1/4 cup: 284 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein
Reviews for Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
"This was very good. It took a bit more effort than I would want to put in on a weeknight but with time on a weekend it was no problem."
"I frequently cook dishes with southwestern flavor. This was truly a delicious soup. I have made chicken tortilla soup in many versions, and this is by far the best.I just happen to have a small yellow squash on hand as well as the zucchini, which I added to the soup. I also had no tomato puree so I solely used fresh tomatoes and a bit of leftover homemade spaghetti sauce. The fried tortilla strips were terrific. I added them to the soup as well as the fresh avocado and shredded cheddar cheese. This was warm, flavorful, and delicious. I will definitely make it and serve it again!"