- and discard charred skins from tomatoes; place tomatoes in a
- blender. Add onion and garlic; cover and process for 1-2 minutes or
- until smooth.
- Sprinkle chicken with lemon-pepper and salt; broil for 5-6 minutes on
- each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cut one tortilla
- into 1/4-in. strips; coarsely chop remaining tortilla.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil. Fry tortilla strips until
- crisp and browned; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In the same pan, cook the zucchini, carrot, cilantro, cumin, chili
- powder and chopped tortilla over medium heat for 4 minutes. Stir in
- the tomato mixture, broth, V8 juice, corn, tomato puree, jalapeno
- and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 20 minutes.
- Cut chicken into strips and add to soup; heat through. Discard bay
- leaf. Garnish with the avocado, cheese and tortilla strips. Yield:
- 3-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 284 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 617 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.