Best Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to boil. Add the broccoli, celery and carrots; boil 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; set vegetables aside.
- In the same pot, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Gradually stir in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Stir in reserved vegetables and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Best Broccoli Soup(26)
Sort By :
Everybody liked this recipe which is saying something because we have a sour cream broccoli soup that is a total favorite. I didn't think they'd even consider this one! We GRATE the carrots. My family is not big on cooked carrots, so this has been the solution since they were small. Also, I add some cream with the milk. We like it a little richer.
Amazing soup! My mom wants the recipe now. Said it was one of best soups she's ever had (dad agreed). For the leftovers, we both added cheese and water. Nummy.
Very good. It's a good way to use up a vegetable tray after a party. I would cut back on the salt.other wise it I is a great recipe
Very good. I tasted it before adding grated cheese. With or without cheese it was yummy. One change I made--I added 1-2 c finely chopped kale. Although it didn't seem to alter the flavor it enhanced the nutrition. My family said they hope I'll make it again.
This recipe is so good! The only suggestion I would give is that once everything was all cooked, I put quite a bit of it in the blender. I've had it both ways and they are both great, just depends on your tastes. I took someone's suggestion this time and added some cheese. Sooo good!