Best Broccoli Soup Recipe
Here's a creamy, comforting soup that beautifully showcases broccoli. It's a delicious way to eat your vegetables. —Carolyn Weinberg, Custer, Montana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring water to boil. Add the broccoli, celery and carrots; boil 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; set vegetables aside.
- 2. In the same pot, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Gradually stir in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in reserved vegetables and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 164 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 868 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC