- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chopped fresh broccoli (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven, bring water to boil. Add the broccoli, celery and carrots; boil 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; set vegetables aside.
- In the same pot, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste. Gradually stir in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Stir in reserved vegetables and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Best Broccoli Soup
Sort By :
"This was fabulous. I doubled the recipe hoping to have leftovers. The four kids emptied the pot. I had been craving broccoli cheddar soup but decided to make this one, thinking we could add cheese at the table. The soup was so good that we didn't get the cheese out and never missed it."
"Easy and yummy. I added half a cup of cheddar cheese at the end to add some flavors. Yummy."
"This recipe is wonderful if you have a child who is 40 and still lives at home."
"Everybody liked this recipe which is saying something because we have a sour cream broccoli soup that is a total favorite. I didn't think they'd even consider this one! We GRATE the carrots. My family is not big on cooked carrots, so this has been the solution since they were small. Also, I add some cream with the milk. We like it a little richer."
"Amazing soup! My mom wants the recipe now. Said it was one of best soups she's ever had (dad agreed). For the leftovers, we both added cheese and water. Nummy."