- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-bran cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in natural juice, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, dates or raisins
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Make a well in the center. Combine the egg, oil, molasses, buttermilk and pineapple with juice. Pour into well; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in the nuts, dates or raisins.
- Fill 18 greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 18 muffins.
Originally published as Best Bran Muffins in Country August/September 1992, p51
Reviews for Best Bran Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 25, 2013 Edited Sep. 26, 2013
"I think this is a lovely, moist muffin. It's not too sweet. I used raisins but nuts would be nice too, I'm sure. Mine made 15 nice-sized muffins. I'll freeze these and make this again.As an update the next day, these froze really well and my husband liked them and he's not usually a fan of bran muffins. I followed the recipe exactly and used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. A keeper!"