Rich buttermilk biscuits baking in the oven will bring back warm memories of your own mom's kitchen. These have a classic old-fashioned flavor that's stood the test of time. You can make them with little effort.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until
- mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; cut
- with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on an
- ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until
- golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 131 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 265 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.