Best Beefy Burgers with Roasted Onion & Peppercorn Mayo
Remember those times when only a burger in all its smoky, juicy, jumbo-layered, lettuce pickle madness can hit the spot? Roasted red onions and mayo blended with crushed peppercorns make this the spot-on burger. —Melissa Jelinek, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- Optional ingredients: tomato slices and lettuce leaves
- Place onion on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle
- with 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 8-12
- minutes or until tender. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, combine the
- mayonnaise, crushed peppercorns and onion mixture; set aside.
- Sprinkle beef with remaining salt; gently mix. Shape into four
- patties. In a large skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 6-8
- minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and
- juices run clear. Serve on rolls with mayonnaise mixture and, if
- desired, tomato and lettuce. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 burger with 2 tablespoons mayonnaise mixture (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 712 calories, 48 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 1,292 mg sodium,