Best Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 envelope onion mushroom soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first four ingredients. Gradually stir in the milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, brown beef in oil until no longer pink. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 1 minute longer or until mushrooms are tender.
- 3. Reduce heat to low; stir in yogurt and reserved sauce. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes on low until heated through. Serve with noodles; sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup (calculated without noodles) equals 284 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 707 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat-free milk, 1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.