Best Banana Ice Cream Recipe
My son-in-law says this is the best ice cream he’s ever had. It’s always requested at family gatherings.
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- Dash salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 to 5 medium)
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the whipping cream, milk and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Stir in bananas. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 309 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 58 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC