- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- Dash salt
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 to 5 medium)
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the whipping cream, milk and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir in bananas. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
Reviews for Best Banana Ice Cream(6)
Sort By :
This is as good as the local custard shop that is so popular. We love it! We took half the ingredients and added crushed strawberries that were frozen. It was the best!
sounds great. but if you dont have an ice cream freezer, can you use a normal freezer?
Amazing, I added chocolate chunks and everyone loved it.
Delicious ice cream.
I substituted Banana Extract for a more distinctive flavor.