- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- Dash salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 to 5 medium)
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the whipping cream, milk and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir in bananas. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
Reviews for Best Banana Ice Cream
Sort By :
Thank you for sharing! Husband and I made it last night with our Kitchen Aid ice cream maker. Added walnuts and then froze overnight. Delicious today! Best banana walnut ice cream I've ever had!
I halved the recipe and added walnuts and chocolate chips to make homemade Chunky Monkey, it is absolutely wonderful.
Thank you for sharing this recipe. This is the best ice cream I have ever tasted! It's absolutely addictive! I am trying to re-create the Fantasia ice cream that Disneyland used to sell and banana ice cream is part of it. Thanks to you, I'm off to a great start!
Question: I have never made custard before. When looking up the term "coats back of spoon" I am getting many results. It all depends on if you are making a thick or thin custard. For this recipe- do I need to have a thick coating on the back of the spoon or a thin coating? What happens when you get the temp correct but it isn't coating the way you want it to? Do you cook longer?
This is as good as the local custard shop that is so popular. We love it! We took half the ingredients and added crushed strawberries that were frozen. It was the best!