- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- Dash salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 to 5 medium)
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat half-and-half to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the whipping cream, milk and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir in bananas. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
Reviews for Best Banana Ice Cream
"I loved it! I added a box of banana pudding and two cans of eagle brand milk. Try it, it's delicious!"
"I didn't change a thing and it was PERFECT! it was creamy, but not too sweet. I did however, keep it in an ice bath till cooled and skipped the refrigeration. I was needing to make it then. Again......it was PERFECT!"
"Thank you for sharing! Husband and I made it last night with our Kitchen Aid ice cream maker. Added walnuts and then froze overnight. Delicious today! Best banana walnut ice cream I've ever had!"
"I halved the recipe and added walnuts and chocolate chips to make homemade Chunky Monkey, it is absolutely wonderful."
"Thank you for sharing this recipe. This is the best ice cream I have ever tasted! It's absolutely addictive! I am trying to re-create the Fantasia ice cream that Disneyland used to sell and banana ice cream is part of it. Thanks to you, I'm off to a great start!"