Best Baked Beans Recipe
THESE savory beans were a specialty my dear grandma frequently prepared. When I even think of this dish, I can smell the enticing aroma that met us at the door when we went over to Grandma's for Sunday dinner. Every dish she made was a labor of love. -Marjorie Thompson, West Sacramento, California
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven or kettle; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to pan. Add water and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until beans are tender. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid.
- 3. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, combine the beans, onion, mustard, brown sugar, molasses, bacon and 1 cup reserved cooking liquid. Cover and bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until beans have reached desired thickness, stirring occasionally (add additional reserved cooking liquid if needed). Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup: 284 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 351mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 12g fiber), 16g protein
Reviews for Best Baked Beans
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC