Best Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- 2. Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips
seeds of a vanilla bean or a bit of vanilla bean paste.
1 slice: 115 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Best Angel Food Cake
"Light and airy. Just sweet enough!"
"Yum, yum and YUM!!!! This cake is worth the effort. I didn't change a thing about the recipe but did change the pan. I used two large loaf pans instead of a tube pan. I adjusted the cooking time by reducing it by about 9 minutes and put the pans on their sides when I removed them from the oven to keep the cakes from collapsing on themselves. Scrumptious!"
"This recipe turned out great and tastes amazing! I took it to a party and it was a hit. This will be my go to angel food cake recipe!"
"Let me tell you, I do not like Angel Food cake, but after making this one my mind is changed. This is a great tasting cake. I had a wedding cake tasting, and the bride wanted to try an Angel Food cake. She LOVED IT. She wants me to do this cake for her wedding. This is my go to recipe. I give it 10 STARS!!!!!"
"Angel food is my favorite cake. I have my own chickens and LOTS of eggs to spare, I am making this in a jelly roll pan. I am going to fill it with whipping cream whipped with cream cheese and topped with fresh rasberries or blueberries! I think it will make a beautiful July 4th roll!"
"Has anyone at high altitudes tried it? Any adjustments? Will the usual adjustment (more flour) work?"
"I will never buy another angel food cake again, super easy. Most angel food cakes are made considering 8 servings so my approx calculations is 212 calories per serving. I might add just a tab bit more almond extract. I also used unbleached white flour instead of cake flour and had no problems with it."
"Made this cake today and it is very good. Only problem I had was it seemed to get done in about 25 minutes instead of the 35-40 but maybe it is my oven?"
"Excellent Angel Food cake Recipe! My daughter won a grand champion using this recipe at her 4-H Achievement Days. Also a great treat for those who have diabetes in our family."
"Can not wait to try this!!!!"
"I've tried angel food cakes with no luck, they fall, I'm trying this one."
"We have chickens so we have a lot of eggs to use and this is our favorite cake to use up some egg whites. Now if we could figure out how to use up the egg yolks! We tried this once with regular flour but the cake flour makes a much lighter cake so I would encourage you to make the recipe as written. Excellent cake just as it is, but I'm sure it would be great as a base for a trifle or with strawberries and whipped cream"
"It looks delicious! I've never eat this be4! But i want to ask something.....can i use powdered egg whites in place of real egg whites? As you can make meringue too with it! Just a thought.....cos i don't always have much eggs in fridge and the powder do i have always! I sure like to know! Thanks for answering in advance! :-) :-) :-)"
"The cake is exclleant the way it is"
"This is such a wonderful cake! I have made other angel food cakes that take more egg whites & they always seem to taste like an egg white. This is such a light & delicious cake. I make a lot of noodles so I have egg whites leftover. This cake recipe is perfect because I have 9 whites left after I've made a batch of noodles."