Best Angel Food Cake Recipe
For our daughter's wedding, a friend made this lovely, airy cake from a recipe she's used for decades. Serve slices plain or dress them up with fresh fruit. —Marilyn Niemeyer, Doon, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- 2. Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 3. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 4. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 115 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC