- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Best Angel Food Cake
"Yum, yum and YUM!!!! This cake is worth the effort. I didn't change a thing about the recipe but did change the pan. I used two large loaf pans instead of a tube pan. I adjusted the cooking time by reducing it by about 9 minutes and put the pans on their sides when I removed them from the oven to keep the cakes from collapsing on themselves. Scrumptious!"
"I took this to work for a potluck and my co-workers said it was the BEST angel food cake they had ever had!"
"This recipe turned out great and tastes amazing! I took it to a party and it was a hit. This will be my go to angel food cake recipe!"
"Let me tell you, I do not like Angel Food Cake, but after making this one my mind is changed. This is a great tasting cake. I had a wedding cake tasting, and the bride wanted to try an Angel Food Cake. She LOVED IT. She wants me to do this cake for her wedding. This is my go to recipe. I give it 10 STARS!!!!!"
"Angel food is my favorite cake. I have my own chickens and LOTS of eggs to spare, I am making this in a jelly roll pan. I am going to fill it with whipping cream whipped with cream cheese and topped with fresh rasberries or blueberries! I think it will make a beautiful July 4th roll!"