- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Best Angel Food Cake
Sort By :
"Angel food is my favorite cake. I have my own chickens and LOTS of eggs to spare, I am making this in a jelly roll pan. I am going to fill it with whipping cream whipped with cream cheese and topped with fresh rasberries or blueberries! I think it will make a beautiful July 4th roll!"
"Has anyone at high altitudes tried it? Any adjustments? Will the usual adjustment (more flour) work?"
"I will never buy another angel food cake again, super easy. Most angel food cakes are made considering 8 servings so my approx calculations is 212 calories per serving. I might add just a tab bit more almond extract. I also used unbleached white flour instead of cake flour and had no problems with it."
"Made this cake today and it is very good. Only problem I had was it seemed to get done in about 25 minutes instead of the 35-40 but maybe it is my oven?"
"Excellent Angel Food Cake Recipe! My daughter won a grand champion using this recipe at her 4-H Achievement Days. Also a great treat for those who have diabetes in our family."