- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Best Angel Food Cake
Sort By :
"I will never buy another angel food cake again, super easy. Most angel food cakes are made considering 8 servings so my approx calculations is 212 calories per serving. I might add just a tab bit more almond extract. I also used unbleached white flour instead of cake flour and had no problems with it."
"Made this cake today and it is very good. Only problem I had was it seemed to get done in about 25 minutes instead of the 35-40 but maybe it is my oven?"
"Excellent Angel Food Cake Recipe! My daughter won a grand champion using this recipe at her 4-H Achievement Days. Also a great treat for those who have diabetes in our family."
"Can not wait to try this!!!!"
"This recipe sounds great. i have made the angel food cake before, but not this one. I'm looking forward to making this cake. I am very sure it will be an 5 star rating.I will definitely make this cake."