- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and
- salt. Whisk egg yolks, water and oil; add to dry ingredients,
- beating until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks
- form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating on high until stiff
- peaks form; fold into batter. Spread into an ungreased 9-in.
- springform pan.
- Bake at 325° for 30-38 minutes or until cake springs back when
- lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool on a
- wire rack. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and
- confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped cream; set aside.
- Cut cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Top with a third
- of the berries; drizzle with 1/4 cup berry syrup. Repeat layers
- twice, drizzling with remaining syrup. Refrigerate for at least 2
- hours before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 517 calories, 29 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 146 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.