Berry-Stuffed French Toast Recipe
Both kids and grown-ups will enjoy the creamy filling and sweet syrup that flavor these French toast sandwiches from Monica Hannahan of Dayton, Ohio. "Vary the recipe by substituting fresh blueberries and strawberries and the corresponding jam," Monica recommends.
- RASPBERRY SYRUP:
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 18 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar and additional raspberries, optional
- 1. For syrup, combine raspberries, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until syrup is desired consistency. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla; set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream. Spread about 3 tablespoons on each slice of bread. Combine preserves and vanilla; spread over cream cheese mixture on nine slices. Top with remaining bread, cream cheese side down, to make a sandwich.
- 3. In a shallow bowl, combine the eggs, cream and cinnamon. Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture. Cook on a hot greased griddle for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 4. Cut in half diagonally. If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and garnish with raspberries. Serve with raspberry syrup. Yield: 9 servings.
1 each: 513 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 562mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Berry-Stuffed French Toast
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC