- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the strawberries, blueberries and 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine milk and sour cream; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Spread batter into a greased 9-in. pie plate (batter will be thick). Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; cut into six wedges.
- To assemble, cut each wedge in half; place bottoms on dessert plates. Top each with berry mixture. Replace wedge tops. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Berry Shortcake
Sort By :
Absolute hit with everyone. We did put the berries through the food processor and added homemade whipped bream, the cake was great!
I get asked to make this again and again. It is a summer favorite of family and friends.