Berry Pleasing Muffins Recipe
These are scrumptious with sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast or with cottage cheese and a sliced apple for a light lunch. The handheld snacks also make a coffee break special and afternoon tea a real treat. -Julie Wood, Vancouver, Washington
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, cranberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture. Fold in the berry mixture.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 225 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC