Berry-Mandarin Tossed Salad Recipe
"The recipe for this beautiful blend came from a local berry farm some years ago," notes Linda Jo Wahlgren of Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin. "We like to take the sweet and savory salad on picnics to accompany cold chicken and a loaf of crusty bread."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:12-14 servings
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin orange, drained
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced into rings
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a 2-cup microwave-safe bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes; stir until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in oil. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. In a salad bowl, combine the greens, strawberries, oranges, onion, almonds and bacon. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss to coat. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 125 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC