Berry-Mandarin Tossed Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin orange, drained
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced into rings
- 1/3 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 2-cup microwave-safe bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes; stir until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in oil. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a salad bowl, combine the greens, strawberries, oranges, onion, almonds and bacon. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss to coat. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Berry-Mandarin Tossed Salad(6)
Sort By :
Wonderful salad. My sister in law used to call it "lick the bowl salad". Just don't add the dressing until you are ready to eat it.
I have been making this salad for several years and always get rave reviews and requests for the recipe. I prep everything the night before but I don't combine the dressing, berries or mandarins with the other ingredients until right before serving. Instead of mixed greens I just use a package (3) of Romaine hearts.
Good, takes a long time for dressing to cool; makes ALOT
I have made this recipe many times. I'm always asked for the recipe, so many times that I keep a copy on my computer ready to print out. My tweaks: For the dressing, I use only 1 Tablespoon honey; omit the grated onion; omit the celery seed. I add poppy seeds and sesame seeds, probably 1/4 tsp each, maybe a little more. For the salad, I omit the onion, bacon, and plain almonds. I add either candied almonds or candied pecans pre-made from the grocery store. Delish!
Outstanding recipe! We made it without the strawberries, since they were out of season and the salad was a HUGE hit with friends. We ate all of it a dinner and I ended up making more the next day for my husband and I to enjoy! A++