Berry Mallow Yam Bake Recipe
My Yam Bake has become a holiday tradition in our family. The blend of cranberries and sweet potatoes in this recipe results in a very pretty appearance—and a unique taste. I grew up on a small Arkansas farm in the foothills of the Ozarks. Both my mother and father are excellent cooks, and I've been cooking since I was a little girl. In fact, my husband teases me that I read cookbooks like some other people read novels!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) sweet potatoes, drained and liquid reserved
- Miniature marshmallows, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Set aside. Sprinkle cranberries with sugar.
- 2. In a 2-qt. baking dish, layer half the yams, half of cranberry mixture and half of crumb mixture. Repeat layers. Pour reserved yam liquid over all.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until heated through. If desired, place several rings of marshmallows around the outer edge of baking dish. Bake just until marshmallows are puffed and lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 243 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC