Berry Fruit Sponge Cake
Lisa Renshaw of Kansas City, Missouri writes, “This is such a wonderful departure from ho-hum strawberry shortcake.” And with two types of berries, you're getting twice the antioxidants!
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free whipped topping
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 8 individual round sponge cakes
- In a large saucepan, combine the berries, orange juice, sugar and
- cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10
- minutes or until cranberries pop. Transfer to a small bowl;
- refrigerate until chilled.
- Combine whipped topping and five-spice powder. Place sponge cakes on
- dessert plates; top with berry mixture and whipped topping.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sponge cake with 1/3 cup berry mixture and 3 tablespoons whipped topping equals 229 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.