Lisa Renshaw of Kansas City, Missouri writes, “This is such a wonderful departure from ho-hum strawberry shortcake.” And with two types of berries, you're getting twice the antioxidants!
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free whipped topping
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 8 individual round sponge cakes
- In a large saucepan, combine the berries, orange juice, sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until cranberries pop. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- Combine whipped topping and five-spice powder. Place sponge cakes on dessert plates; top with berry mixture and whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Berry Sponge Cakes in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p32
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Berry Fruit Sponge Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review