Berry-Filled Lemon Cake Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, egg substitute, yogurt and lemon peel; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Combine sugar and lemon juice; drizzle over cake. Fill center of cake with strawberries. Yield: 14 servings.
1 piece: 189 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Berry-Filled Lemon Cake
"Prepared as written, other than using eggs (not opposed to egg substitute, just didn't have it on hand). Could not taste the lemon, just tasted like ordinary yellow cake. Easy to prepare, but I probably won't bother since I would have to try to figure out how much additional lemon to add and where. Poppy seeds aren't a bad idea either, that way people will know that its supposed to be lemon."
"What a great recipe! Used lemon yogurt as others did and it was simply yummy. Family loved it."
"Loved this cake - it was a breeze to make and turned out delicious. I did substitute lemon yogurt for the plain to give it more lemon flavor. Will definitely make again."
"I made this on Mother's Day. The recipe is easy and delicious. It was literally gone in ten minutes. The glaze, strawberries, and lemony cake is a fabulous combo. My husband has already asked for another! I used lemon yogurt in lieu of plain. Will definitely make this again."
"AuntieA1955-U proved STUPID!"
"to der vermonttaxlady...how many eggy weggy do yer needy weedy fer der 3/4c. o der eggy subby wubby...the same amounty as it takes you to skrew in a light bulb, every buddy knows dat...7,346! If you can't figure to cracka-lacklin der eggys in der measure cuppy and ask a silly willy question, den I guess der get a silly answer! So HA"
"This sounds wonderful. I always love citrus flavored cakes. I also like the use of egg substitute. To vermonttaxlady, egg substitute cartons tell you the egg equivalent."
"Made this for my mother-in-law and she LOVED it! I didn't use the box mix but my homemade to where it was organic and natural. Used 4 egg whites instead of the egg substitute as well. I have a pan that makes a "hollow" circle in the cake ring so I filled it with mixed berries (raspberry, strawberries and blueberries) along with fresh whipped cream. It was such a surprise when you cut into it. This is a keeper."
"3 eggs equal 3/4 cup of egg substitute"
"Everyone is amazed when I tell them this is a lowfat cake. I also use this cut up in trifles."
"How many eggs equal 3/4 cup egg substitute?"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.