Berry Delightful Spinach Salad Recipe
A homemade dressing and sugared pecans dress up this fruit-filled green salad. When fresh berries are out of season, try substituting dried fruits. —Bonnie Jost, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1. In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook sugar until it begins to melt. Gently drag melted sugar to the center of pan so sugar melts evenly. Cook, without stirring, until sugar is dark reddish brown, about 15 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans. Pour onto a foil-lined baking sheet; cool completely. Break pecans apart if necessary.
- 3. In a salad bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and blueberries. Place the first six dressing ingredients in a blender; cover and process until pureed. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- 4. Just before serving, drizzle salad with dressing; toss to coat. Top with sugared pecans. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 350 calories, 29 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC