Berry Cherry Pie Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Coarse sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Combine cherries, raspberries and lemon juice in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix sugar, tapioca and salt; add to fruit and toss gently to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- 2. Unroll one pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry to 3/4 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling; dot with butter.
- 3. Unroll remaining pastry; cut into 2-1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk; brush over lattice top. Sprinkle with sugar.
Cover edge loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pie. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 400°. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 457 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium, 78 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.