The recipe for these two loaves and the creamy strawberry spread came from my mother's collection. I added macadamia nuts to give the fruit bread a fun crunch and tropical flair. —Pat Stewart Lees Summit, Missouri
Recommended: 84 Lemon Recipes from Tart to Sweet
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 jar (3 ounces) macadamia nuts, chopped
- For strawberry spread, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Drain strawberries, reserving 1/4 cup juice for bread batter. Beat 6 tablespoons berries into the cream cheese. Set remaining berries aside. Chill spread until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Combine the eggs, oil, reserved berries and juice. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the nuts (batter will be stiff). Transfer to two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Serve with spread. Yield: 2 loaves (10 slices each) and about 1 cup spread.
Originally published as Berry Bread with Spread in Quick Cooking March/April 2005, p35
Reviews for Berry Bread with Spread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2014
"This is a great recipe!"
Reviewed Dec. 17, 2009
"This is a great recipe! Very easy to make and always a hit."