Berry Big Pie Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cup cold shortening
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 8 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, combine water, egg and vinegar; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Form into a roll. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll two-thirds of the dough into a 18-in. x 14-in. rectangle. Carefully place onto the bottom and up the sides of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine berries, sugar and flour; pour into crust. Use the remaining dough to make lattice strips; place over the filling. Brush pastry with cream.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350°. Bake about 1 hour longer or until bubbly. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 462 calories, 22 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.