- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cup cold shortening
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 8 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Half-and-half cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, combine water, egg and vinegar; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Form into a roll. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll two-thirds of the dough into a 18-in. x 14-in. rectangle. Carefully place onto the bottom and up the sides of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine berries, sugar and flour; pour into crust. Use the remaining dough to make lattice strips; place over the filling. Brush pastry with cream.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350°. Bake about 1 hour longer or until bubbly. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Berry Big Pie
"This is a fantastic pie (what we call a cobbler)! Delicious and beautiful! I love the pastry; it's more tender that a pie crust and slightly sweet. A tip if you're using frozen fruit--use a little more flour in the filling, because the frozen fruit juices out more and will be a bit soupy with just the 1/2 c. of flour."
"i'm NOT an expert pie maker but this always turns out great. I also use a mix of fruit"
"Love the pastry, so soft and easy to work with. Great for a crowd. People always want vanilla ice cream on top! Love it!"
"I love this recipe. I have made it many times. The crust is wonderful. I like my cobblers juicy and it can handle the extra liquids that I add. My sweet potato cobbler is a hit partly because of this crust. I also use this crust for pies and it turns out great."
"I've made this recipe several times, and it always get raves. I do use a mixture of berries--usually blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. I love the crust; it is slightly sweet and the dough is easy to handle."