Berry Best Fried Pies Recipe
"When I was growing up, we'd eat these wonderful fried pies faster than Mom could make them," recalls Sharon Garrison of Bella Vista, Arkansas. "The recipe has been handed down for generations in my family."
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Oil for frying
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water; add berries. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Combine oil and buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients until mixture forms a ball. Roll on a floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 4-1/2 in. circles. Place 1 tablespoon blueberry filling on each circle. Fold over; seal edges with fork.
- In a skillet over medium heat, fry pies in 1/4 to 1/2 in. hot oil until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Berry Best Fried Pies in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p54
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Berry Best Fried Pies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Blueberry Desserts >
- Blueberry Pie Recipes >
- Blueberry Pies >
- Blueberry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >