I make this family favorite every year for a gathering at my sister's, where the recipe is known as "Uncle Mike's pie." I use only fresh berries, apples and rhubarb that I grow myself. —Michael Powers, New Baltimore, Virginia
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla; add berries and rhubarb. Combine flour, allspice, cinnamon and 1-1/2 cups sugar; add to apple mixture and toss gently to coat. Spoon into crust; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush milk over lattice top. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Berry-Apple-Rhubarb Pie in Branson's Great American Pie Show January 2009
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Berry-Apple-Rhubarb Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review