Berries with Champagne Cream
This recipe came from a cooking class I attended at a local department store. I first served it to my husband on Valentine's Day, but now I make it for Christmas as well. —Michele Fehring, Fishers, Indiana
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup Champagne
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- In a heavy saucepan, beat egg yolks and sugar with a portable mixer
- until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in champagne. Place
- the saucepan over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed
- for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches
- 160°, about 5-6 minutes.
- Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2
- minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate
- until chilled.
- Fold in whipped cream. Spoon three-quarters of the champagne cream
- into stemmed glasses. Top with berries. Spoon remaining champagne
- cream over berries. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 267 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 300 mg cholesterol, 19 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.