Berries in Custard Sauce
This is a refreshing treat highlighting the fresh berries of summer. The custard is not overly sweet to over-shadow the berries.—Leona Luecking, West Burlington, Iowa
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups fresh blueberries, raspberries and strawberries
- In a saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around
- sides of pans. Combine egg and sugar in a bowl; stir in a small
- amount of hot milk. Return all to saucepan. Cook over low heat,
- stirring constantly, until mixture coats a spoon, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in salt and vanilla. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Serve over berries. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 85 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.