Start the day off right with this dreamy, creamy breakfast treat from Lesa Michelle Hefner of Elk City, Oklahoma. “My husband and I first tasted this delicious dish at a bed and breakfast where we celebrated our anniversary,“ she shares. “It’s really easy to prepare but tastes like you fussed.“
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, marshmallow creme and vanilla until smooth; set aside.
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, bring strawberries and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into berry mixture. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and milk; dip both sides of bread in egg mixture. On a lightly greased hot griddle, cook bread over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. To serve, spread each piece of French toast with cream cheese mixture; top with strawberry syrup. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Berries 'n' Cream French Toast in Simple & Delicious May/June 2006, p46
Reviews for Berries 'n' Cream French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 30, 2009
"THIS IS LIKE DESSERT FOR BREAKFAST! I HAD A SIMILAR DISH AT A RESTAURANT & WAS ON THE LOOKOUT FOR A CLONE RECIPE. THIS IS EVEN BETTER. THE MARSHMALLOW CREAM REALLY MAKES IT."